Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Oh, brother, where art thou?

July 8, 2012

 Dear Dee,

My brother, Dennis’s, situation continues to decline. He thought he got some good news when they told him that the tumor had shrunk, but what they didn’t tell him until a few days later was that his lungs were full of a cancerous fluid and it has spread to his spine. For this reason, they are not starting radiation as planned. They give him about a 5% chance of surviving for more than a year. It makes it highly unlikely that I will ever see him again unless this transfer comes through. I have been calling Dennis every Friday. I can hear the changes in his voice. He sounded at his best and strongest during the week he had off from chemo.

In the Come as You Are piece this week (the last piece in the book), Fleck pointed out the value in having someone from your youth to grow old with, so that you can share and help each other remember the people and stories from that period in your life. It made me think of Joe and what a devastating loss his death was to me. Of course, Dennis is another one. He’s the only person in the world who shared my misbegotten childhood from its earliest days. When he goes, it will be an incalculable loss.

I liked this week’s sermon by Ana Levy-Lyons, “The Return of the Real.” In it she stresses the need to integrate the image we project to the world with the person we truly are. She points out that “integrate” and “integrity” share the same root word. She says that so many people today will post on Facebook that they are heading out to the soup kitchen to feed the homeless so they can bask in the approbation of others. The real value of the action lies in the doing of it. It called to mind something I remember hearing from, of all people, Dr. Laura on the radio, “Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.”  All of my self-esteem was vested in the image I projected to others, to the point that I believed that this was who I truly was. I talked the talk without being willing to walk the walk. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment