Wednesday, July 30, 2014

On accountability

July 15, 2012

Dear Dee,
This week’s sermon was another form Ana Levy-Lyons at All Souls in New York titled “Location, Location, Location.” She cites the Hebrew scriptures as telling us to be aware of where we are going and to whom we are accountable. It struck me as odd that I seem to have a better handle on where I’m going than on where I’ve been. I know I’m on a quest to become a better person. Where I’ve been is a bit of a haze representing all the time I spent in an unenlightened state, engaged in activities that I wish I could forget. As for the accountability part, I think I am most accountable to myself, since I will be holding myself to a higher and stricter standard than just about anyone else would.

My first foray into the new Fleck book was meaningful. The chapter, titled “The Blessings of Imperfection,” says that we learn from trial and error, not trial and triumph. It’s difficult for me to regard what I did as an error or a mistake because a mistake is something one makes while trying to do something right and simply making the wrong choice. In my case, I knew from the start that it was wrong. I have to remember as I try to analyze the reasons behind my actions that reasons are not the same as excuses, for there are no excuses for what I did. Whatever else they were, they were most certainly the actions of an imperfect man. In the future, it is my goal to strive for perfection, knowing full well that I will never achieve it, but taking comfort from the knowledge that the effort will result in a better man.

This theme was also useful as I mull over a piece that I want to write titled “To the children in the pictures.” Since I used the internet to do them wrong, it seems altogether fitting that I use it again to seek their forgiveness. It will most likely not reach the intended eyes, but I have to try.

This week I received the draft copy of my divorce papers. I am sad but resigned to this course. I had a few niggling changes, but I will sign it the next time I have access to a notary. Strike three—I’m out!

That’s it for another week. Love, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment