Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kent's new home

Kent was sentenced to 7 and 1/2 years with the probability of getting out a year earlier for good behavior. The judge also ordered lifetime parole. For the next two months, during which he was again shuffled around from one local facility to another, his friends and family awaited news of where he had been taken.  My next letter was 85 days later.

June 2, day 144

Dear Dee,
I guess you've heard by now about the place where I ended up. What has sustained me since January was the promise that a better life awaited me in the federal prison system. Virtually everything I heard about that does not apply here. This place is geared solely toward punishment without so much as a cursory nod toward rehabilitation. I had been lead to believe that the population here would be primarily white collar. Not even close. (Note: He includes more detail about the fellow inmates, but I will leave that to your imagination.)

The book and magazine mailing policy is better here. You can send books and magazines directly to me as long as the books are paperbacks. Hardbacks must come directly from a vendor. So you can send me back issues of The Week magazine like you did when I was in house arrest. I read it cover to cover as soon as I get it. Any that you do send must be clearly labelled "Contains reading matter" or it will be returned to you unopened.. Limit is 5 books at a time.

It looks like my daughter and her husband and the baby may visit me sometime in the next few months. I am waiting with excitement to meet that little one for the very first time. I'm just so sorry that it has to be here.

I hope I didn't depress you too much with this letter. I've been having a tough time since arriving throwing off the mantle of depression that descended on me once I realized this was as good as it was ever going to get. These next six years, followed by lifetime supervised release, do not make for anything positive for my golden years.

No comments:

Post a Comment