Friday, October 14, 2011

A noisy dorm

August 18, day 224

Dear Dee,
Thanks for sending the reformatted  copy of the book I wrote while in house arrest. (Note: This is a light, comedic caper type of story which he later had a friend put out as a Kindle book.) I wanted it because there are a few men here who are interested in writing, and glommed onto me when they found out that I write. They were interested in reading my stuff.

I didn't know that you were in a women's group. I was in a men's group for about seventeen years before I moved away. I'm still in touch with them and they have been very supportive of me over the last year.

I probably don't watch more than three or four hours of TV a week because I don't often agree with their choices. But tonight there was a delightful little movie on Showtime called "You Can Count on Me" which I totally enjoyed. Usually, I just prefer to read and am still going through 3 to 4 books a week.

I'm still working in food service, hairnet and all (my pennance for having made fun of the cafeteria lady). (Note: I asked him in my next letter whether this exchange with the lady was a light-hearted one and he said it was.) My three months are up on September 7. At that point, I will apply to the Education Department, which includes the library. I could either work in the library or perhaps tutor people going for their GED. Or I could teach a creative writing class.

Thanks for including the UU material. I could really identify with Rev. Morales' Huffpo article, especially his question, "What must it do to the human soul to be part of such an abusive system?" Thanks also for the sermon on suffering. Please feel free in the future to send any sermons that you think might apply.

No, my cell is not a quiet place. I have tried twice to get moved, but to no avail. These are not cells per se, but rather dorm-style cubicles. They are designed for four people but have six instead. Some of my cellies are very loud and thoughtless and have others in and out all the time. Just falling asleep is a major problem. Then there is noise from the other cubicles and the common area, where they watch TV and play cards. There is no door to close against that. There are up to 200 men in this unit so it is never quiet.

I have yet to see any violence here. People who have worked their way down to low security are afraid of losing that status. There are cameras everywhere and anyone caught fighting goes to "the hole" (solitary) for a good long time.

As for exercise, there is a pretty good rec yard, but the heat and humidity have been oppressive since I got here. We caught a little breeze today so I went out and walked a mile. I will do more when the heat abates for the season.

I have three or four people I talk with. One is a cellmate, the others have charges similar to mine, so they aren't career criminals and tend to be more intelligent.

Well, that about wraps it up for this time. Stay in touch and, as always, thank you for your loving support.

Love, Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment